Thursday, June 30, 2022
All the latest schoolboy rugby news, results and stats

Kearsney win nail-biter against Westville

By Hannes Nienaber , in News , at 24 March 2014

NewsG KearsneyKearsney 1st X1 beat Westville 1sts in an exciting nail-biter which was clinched by a converted penalty kick with no time left on the clock. It capped an exciting day’s rugby, with a clean sweep for Kearsney’s A teams at all age groups in their fixtures against Westville.

Always a big Highway derby, Westville had made four changes to the team that had lost to Glenwood the previous weekend. Kearsney had lost tighhead prop Matthew Maddock, which gave David Brown the opportunity to play in an unfamiliar position, as he had played lock for the 2nd XV the previous week.

Kearsney received the kick-off and played in Westville’s half. From a Westville lineout, Kearsney gathered the ball and put numerous phases together, which allowed Kearsney flyhalf Tristan Tedder to have a drop goal attempt which was pushed passed the right post.

Kearsney conceded a few penalties early in the game, which allowed Westville to apply pressure on the Kearsney try line, but Kearsney’s defence stood strong as they managed to deny Westville scoring. Kearsney were good on the ground which allowed them a few turnovers. Both teams were asking questions on attack but neither could fully execute and convert the pressure to points.

Inside the Kearsney half, Westville were penalised for not releasing the ball in a tackle. This was an opportunity for Kearsney scrumhalf James Hall to have an attempt at a 62 metre penalty kick, which he successfully converted much to the delight of the spectators and schoolboys.

Just before the end of the first half, Westville applied immense pressure and were awarded a penalty in the Kearsney half. Westville flyhalf Kyan Braithwaite was unsuccessful with his penalty kick. Westville once again were on the Kearsney try line, Kearsney managed to defend their line holding onto the lead of 3-0 at half time.

Within the first five minutes of the second half, Kearsney were penalised just outside their 22 metre for being offside, which gave Braithwaite the opportunity to equalise the score to 3 all.

Westville seemed to have kept the ball up front using their forwards with ‘pick and goes’. Westville gathered the ball off a Kearsney lineout and opted to kick. The hosts then counter-attacked and took play just outside Westville’s 22 metre. The Westville scrumhalf attempted to clear a kick but was charged down by Kearsney flanker Anthony Quenet who managed to score the first try of the match. Tristan Tedder converted taking the score to 10-3.

Westville responded by catching Kearsney off-side just outside the Kearsney 22 and in front of the poles, allowing Braithwaite to take the score to 10-6. Kearsney were caught once again, this time inside their own 22m for being offside from a ruck, which allowed Braithwaite to kick at goal, narrowing the margin to 10-9.

Kearsney lost their lineout ball on a very good attacking field position. Westville kicked the ball which was countered by Kearsney. The home side tried to slide a kick pass their backs which was picked up by Westville’s right wing and took play into the Kearsney 22 metre. Kearsney were penalised once again for being off-side, which allowed Braithwaite to take Westville into the lead 10-12.

With less than two minutes on the clock, Kearsney applied pressure from the kick-off, gathering the ball from the start but unfortunately knocked the ball on. From a Westville put in at the scrum, Westville opted to kick which was counter by Kearsney.

Tristan Tedder gathered the ball and chipped through to regain the ball which was knocked on by Westville and then fielded by another Westville player from an offside position. Kearsney were then awarded a penalty.

With no time left on the clock, Tristan Tedder converted the penalty kick for Kearsney to win the game 13-12.



Leave a Reply

error: Content is protected !!